Skip to main content

Sing-along Café 2024-10-17

Our theme was Songs with Food, but we talked about everything: families, religion, war, mental health, motherhood, dancing, the 80s, the 50s, strict conformity and fear and/or rejection of anything/anyone different, thrift shopping, … I guess that both food and singing are things that bring people together and inspire conversation, so it makes sense. There's a lot of music on this playlist, so we'll do the Food Theme again. 

I didn’t bake but I brought some store-bought cookies, but, I forgot to put them out and didn’t make tea. We were too busy and content with our lovely chatting and songs so it didn’t matter. It was a lovely evening in lovely company.

With all that talking, we did manage to sing quite a bit too. Here’s a sample of some of the songs we listened to and sang:

  • Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) by Harry Belafonte 
  • Sandwiches by Fred Penner
  • On Top of Spaghetti by Walk off the Earth and by Tom Glazer
  • Sugar by Maroon 5
  • Sugar Sugar by The Archies
  • Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
  • Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles
  • American Pie by Don McLean
  • Rock Lobster by the B-52's
  • I Want Candy by the Strangeloves
  • Red Red Wine by Neil Diamond and by UB40 (we liked this better)
  • A Bar Song (Tipsy) by Shaboozey
  • Christmas Dinner by Peter, Paul & Mary
  • If I Had $1,000,000 by Barenaked Ladies (Dijon Ketchups)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 30th, 2025

We are ready for Halloween!  My theme today was Halloween. I found a couple of playlists of Halloween music on Apple Music, and we started with the one that is designated as a sing-along playlist. Apple Music Sing is a feature that I don't have on my devices, but there are playlists that are made for it, so all the songs on the playlist have scrolling lyrics. That's good enough for us.  We started with a song that we loved singing, but we wondered what made it a Halloween selection. The others were pretty obvious. I made a connection with newer songs about love being magical and the singer feeling like he's under a spell and two much older songs, by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. There were a lot of similarities. And, we noticed that those older songs are pretty hard to sing along with. Sometimes we think that new songs are tricky. We laughed about how we "know" lots of songs and can sing the chorus, but have no idea what the words in the verses are, maybe beca...

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 23rd, 2025

It was a lovely afternoon in lovely company!  The first afternoon café was very nice, but we really hope to see more people there next week. It's a good time of day for singing, and one hour is a perfect amount of time. Parking is a bit more difficult during the day, and we have to remember that we cannot enter the parking lot behind the church, the manse lot, because of the small children there. Leave some time to find parking, or park down by Riverwalk Commons, lots of spots there.  Today’s theme was instrumental parts of songs that we sing along with. "Songs with Instrumentals that we Sing" is the name of my playlist. Sometimes there’s a big brass fanfare or a drum fill or an electric guitar solo that’s so good that we sing that in addition to singing the words, and sometimes it’s the best part, where suddenly everyone is singing (they might not even call it singing, but it is!). Imagine a bar band playing Sweet Caroline. The whole bar sings the "ba-ba-ba!" ...

Thursday Singing Night Reviews- on hold for now

My usual practice to write a review of our Thursday singing nights, Sing-along Café, is on hold.  I haven't felt secure about this 'ministry' of mine. In my mind, it's a wonderful and important thing, but it's not taking off. And, I've been wondering if my music ministry at Trinity should move in a different direction.  I suggested adding a choir practice in this time slot, for a pop/contemporary Sunday choir, which I could run with a volunteer accompanist, since it is the traditional, usual time for church choirs. Another choir was not feasible, so that's not happening (yet/ I'm still hopeful). I have been asked to work with the drama club on the music for the Christmas Pageant again, and those rehearsals have moved from Wednesdays to Thursdays. So, I'm now wondering how to manage my Thursday nights with that added in.   One possibility is to start the Sing-along Café at 6:30, at the same time as the drama club. We could invite the parents/guardians...