Skip to main content

Sing-along Café 2024-11-07

This week, we had the best theme of all: Singing! 
Songs about singing and singers was a fun theme-lots of great songs to sing- and they led to lots of interesting conversations. 

We ended up spending some time listening to songs that were not in the theme because we wanted to hear more of a certain singer’s voice. I guess that was on-theme. Singers voices can be so attractive that we are mesmerized or amazed, moved by the sound of their voice as much as by the songs they sing. Two of the singers with outstanding voices were Enya and Ellie Goulding. 

We had a laugh listening to Leonard Cohen sing about singing with his rough voice and barely-singing style, but loved his song and appreciated his offering of it, remembering that one of my Big Beliefs is that everyone can and should sing and that no voice is bad. 

I shared pumpkin muffins that I had baked and made myself a cup of ginger peach tea. It was a lovely evening in lovely company.

Here is a selection of the songs we sang and listened to:
  • Do-Re-Mi by Julie Andrews (from the Sound of Music- can you believe she’s still acting, and is the voice of the narrator, Lady Whistledown, on Bridgestone)
  • How can I Keep from Singing by Enya and by Libera
  • Sing by the Carpenters
  • Sing by Pentatonix (we listened to and watched a few of their videos and were reminded of the Nylons, a Canadian a cappella group- singing without accompaniment is special)
  • Song Sung Blue by Neil Diamond
  • Singin’ in the Rain by Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and JJ Heller
  • Your Song by Ellie Goulding
  • When Smokey Sings by ABC
  • I’ll Have to Say I Love You in a Song by Jim Croce (another beautiful voice)
  • I Write the Songs by Barry Manilow
  • Magic Power by Triumph (a Canadian band- I'm young, I'm wild, and I'm free. Got the magic power of the music in me)
  • Riptide by Vance Joy (reminds me of singing with my daughters at campfires)
  • Love Song by Sara Bareilles
  • Sing a Happy Song by George McCrae (Sing la la-la-la-la cha-locka-locka-locka!)
  • You Got Me Singing by Leonard Cohen 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 30th, 2025

We are ready for Halloween!  My theme today was Halloween. I found a couple of playlists of Halloween music on Apple Music, and we started with the one that is designated as a sing-along playlist. Apple Music Sing is a feature that I don't have on my devices, but there are playlists that are made for it, so all the songs on the playlist have scrolling lyrics. That's good enough for us.  We started with a song that we loved singing, but we wondered what made it a Halloween selection. The others were pretty obvious. I made a connection with newer songs about love being magical and the singer feeling like he's under a spell and two much older songs, by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. There were a lot of similarities. And, we noticed that those older songs are pretty hard to sing along with. Sometimes we think that new songs are tricky. We laughed about how we "know" lots of songs and can sing the chorus, but have no idea what the words in the verses are, maybe beca...

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 23rd, 2025

It was a lovely afternoon in lovely company!  The first afternoon café was very nice, but we really hope to see more people there next week. It's a good time of day for singing, and one hour is a perfect amount of time. Parking is a bit more difficult during the day, and we have to remember that we cannot enter the parking lot behind the church, the manse lot, because of the small children there. Leave some time to find parking, or park down by Riverwalk Commons, lots of spots there.  Today’s theme was instrumental parts of songs that we sing along with. "Songs with Instrumentals that we Sing" is the name of my playlist. Sometimes there’s a big brass fanfare or a drum fill or an electric guitar solo that’s so good that we sing that in addition to singing the words, and sometimes it’s the best part, where suddenly everyone is singing (they might not even call it singing, but it is!). Imagine a bar band playing Sweet Caroline. The whole bar sings the "ba-ba-ba!" ...

Sing-along Café Thursday, November 6th, 2025

Another wonderful afternoon! I was inspired by some planning I was doing for my choir (the York Region Community Choir). I was looking at wartime songs to use for sing-alongs at a performance next week, when I realized that I could add them to a playlist I had. The playlist is "Songs for Keeping Love Alive". We hadn't used it before, so it was new to everyone.  We started with a couple of songs from the WWll era, songs about love and faithfulness surviving a separation. Then, we had a few songs about how a man can show his love for a woman, and how couples can stay together, what keeps a couple going forever (having fun, we agreed). Looking at the lyrics of love songs is always fun. Sometimes, it can be a little embarrassing, funny, and mostly relateable. Something I had intened to sing but forgot was Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree by Tony Orlando & Dawn. Next time! There are lots of songs on this playlist that we can do another time.  We talked a lit...