Skip to main content

Sing-along Café 2025-03-27

Despite barometric pressure headaches and weather-, work-, and world- fatigue (Weltschmertz), we rallied our forces to get out of the house and make it to Trinity, and it was so worth it! Singing is therapeutic, not just fun. And, not only do we sing, but we also pay attention to the beauty of the music and the messages, so we are reminded that there is so much to be grateful for, and we are not alone, but in good company.

Our theme was Celestial Events, inspired by the vernal equinox, the celestial change of seasons last week. So, we looked up to the sun, the moon, the stars, and planets, and even a supermassive black hole, along with artists inspired by the heavens. 

Something I like to do is listen to different versions of songs, and we often find that covers of songs provide a wonderful new perspective. We had this experience with a couple of our songs tonight. I do have a thing for diversity, an appreciation for different ways of looking at things. It was also noted that I have very eclectic taste, a huge variety of music that I love. You’ll see that in the list of songs we sang, and on the lists of songs in my playlists.

I didn’t make tea and I didn’t bake, but we did have some sweet things, and it was a lovely evening in lovely company. We forgot to talk about a theme for next week, so we’ll continue on this theme, since I have 3 hours of music on it, with the freedom to change it on Thursday, depending on our whim ;-)

Please come and join us. It's not dark at 7 anymore, and it keeps getting easier to get out in the evenings.
Drop in any Thursday that you can make it. 

Here’s a list of some of the songs we sang and listened to (not in order):
  • Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In by the 5th Demension
  • Turn! Turn! Turn! by Walk off the Earth and by the Byrds
  • Total Eclipse of the Heart (Turn around) by Bonnie Tyler
  • Rewrite the Stars by Zac Efron & Zendaya from the Greatest Showman, and by Michael Gerow
  • Sunrise, Sunset by the cast of Fiddler on the Roof, Original Motion Picture, and by Miriam Makeba
  • Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival (this one surprised us)
  • Talking to the Moon by Bruno Mars
  • Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra and by Doris Day
  • The Circle Game by Joni Mitchell
  • Shooting Star and Fireflies by Owl City
  • Across the Universe by the Beatles
  • Supermassive Black Hole by Muse
  • Planet Claire by the B-52's
  • Jupiter, from The Planets (by Gustav Holst) by the Berlin Philharmonic
  • I Vow to Thee My Country by Katherine Jenkins and by Beck Goldsmith
  • Sunshine on My Shoulders by John Denver



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 30th, 2025

We are ready for Halloween!  My theme today was Halloween. I found a couple of playlists of Halloween music on Apple Music, and we started with the one that is designated as a sing-along playlist. Apple Music Sing is a feature that I don't have on my devices, but there are playlists that are made for it, so all the songs on the playlist have scrolling lyrics. That's good enough for us.  We started with a song that we loved singing, but we wondered what made it a Halloween selection. The others were pretty obvious. I made a connection with newer songs about love being magical and the singer feeling like he's under a spell and two much older songs, by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. There were a lot of similarities. And, we noticed that those older songs are pretty hard to sing along with. Sometimes we think that new songs are tricky. We laughed about how we "know" lots of songs and can sing the chorus, but have no idea what the words in the verses are, maybe beca...

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 23rd, 2025

It was a lovely afternoon in lovely company!  The first afternoon café was very nice, but we really hope to see more people there next week. It's a good time of day for singing, and one hour is a perfect amount of time. Parking is a bit more difficult during the day, and we have to remember that we cannot enter the parking lot behind the church, the manse lot, because of the small children there. Leave some time to find parking, or park down by Riverwalk Commons, lots of spots there.  Today’s theme was instrumental parts of songs that we sing along with. "Songs with Instrumentals that we Sing" is the name of my playlist. Sometimes there’s a big brass fanfare or a drum fill or an electric guitar solo that’s so good that we sing that in addition to singing the words, and sometimes it’s the best part, where suddenly everyone is singing (they might not even call it singing, but it is!). Imagine a bar band playing Sweet Caroline. The whole bar sings the "ba-ba-ba!" ...

Sing-along Café Thursday, November 6th, 2025

Another wonderful afternoon! I was inspired by some planning I was doing for my choir (the York Region Community Choir). I was looking at wartime songs to use for sing-alongs at a performance next week, when I realized that I could add them to a playlist I had. The playlist is "Songs for Keeping Love Alive". We hadn't used it before, so it was new to everyone.  We started with a couple of songs from the WWll era, songs about love and faithfulness surviving a separation. Then, we had a few songs about how a man can show his love for a woman, and how couples can stay together, what keeps a couple going forever (having fun, we agreed). Looking at the lyrics of love songs is always fun. Sometimes, it can be a little embarrassing, funny, and mostly relateable. Something I had intened to sing but forgot was Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree by Tony Orlando & Dawn. Next time! There are lots of songs on this playlist that we can do another time.  We talked a lit...