Skip to main content

Sing-along Café 2025-04-10

Wednesday was the International Day of Pink, a day to wear pink to support diversity and to stand against bullying, homophobia, and transphobia. When I planned this week’s theme, I had remembered that, so we used my Songs for Equality, Diversity, Inclusion playlist. Last night, and Wednesday, I forgot, so I didn’t wear pink on pink day, and got a little confused thinking it was yesterday. But, for me, any day is good to celebrate diversity and to think about all the ways good, worthy, and beautiful people don’t conform to stereotypes, gender roles, and other societal expectations. 

Diversity is kind of my thing. Singing is #My Thing. I’m also fond of dancing, but in the same way I love singing, as a natural part of enjoying music, with friends and family. Or in a club, like the Pink Pony Club, wearing high heels (if you can, and if you feel like it)! I remembered many happy times dancing with friends at disco clubs, staying out late, wearing heels (so many years ago!). We talked about the parents’ roles in Cyndi Lauper and Chappel Roan’s songs, and talked about the feeling of the freedom to dance with abandon, to defy expectations of “good girl” behaviour that these songs inspire. Shania Twain’s women’s anthem too, gets us singing and dancing. But, of course boys can enjoy them too. I’ve experienced lots of men and boys singing heartily “Man! I feel like a woman!”. I wish boys and men could always express times when they wished they could be a woman or felt feminine without it being an issue, because it’s natural, and women are awesome. 

Gender diversity was a big topic, but so was anti-black racism. Everyday People, we felt, should be sung at church (the children and youth could do a great job and would have fun) and everywhere these days, really. It’s catchy and easy to sing with (at least the chorus is) and so clear in it’s message. We couldn’t really sing with 2Pac, but enjoyed hearing The Way It Is behind his very powerful words in Changes (some of them written with *** in place of letters, if you know what I mean). And, we just had to sing Bruce Hornsby’s beautiful song again. 

We also enjoyed trying to sing with Celine Dion again, another repeat from last week. When you do manage to sing along with Celine, it’s such a good feeling! Her embellishments are not easy to emulate. I always like when we sing a song for a second or third time. It gets easier. 

I didn’t bake for the café this week, but we had veggies and dip with our tea and coffee. I mixed mayonnaise and yogurt with an herb mix called “salad herbs” and it turned out pretty good. We had decided last week that we’d be more health conscious and try to cut out some sugar. 

We’re not meeting next week because it’s Maundy Thursday. The following week, on Thursday, April 24th, we’re going to use my Canadian Artists playlist, ahead of our Federal Election.

These are some of the songs we sang and listened to:

  • Born this Way by Lady Gaga
  • Beloved by Jordan Feliz
  • Man! I Feel Like a Woman by Shania Twain
  • Respect by Aretha Franklin
  • Men Explain Things to Me by Tacocat
  • I’ll Make a Man out of You by Donny Osmond (from Mulan)
  • A Girl Worth Fighting For by Lea Salonga, Harvey Fierstein, et al (from Mulan)
  • Summer Nights by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John 
  • A New Day has Come by Celine Dion
  • Everyday People by Sly & The Family Stone
  • Changes by 2Pac
  • The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby & The Range
  • Pink Pony Club by Chappell Roan
  • Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
  • Jolene by Dolly Parton



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 30th, 2025

We are ready for Halloween!  My theme today was Halloween. I found a couple of playlists of Halloween music on Apple Music, and we started with the one that is designated as a sing-along playlist. Apple Music Sing is a feature that I don't have on my devices, but there are playlists that are made for it, so all the songs on the playlist have scrolling lyrics. That's good enough for us.  We started with a song that we loved singing, but we wondered what made it a Halloween selection. The others were pretty obvious. I made a connection with newer songs about love being magical and the singer feeling like he's under a spell and two much older songs, by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. There were a lot of similarities. And, we noticed that those older songs are pretty hard to sing along with. Sometimes we think that new songs are tricky. We laughed about how we "know" lots of songs and can sing the chorus, but have no idea what the words in the verses are, maybe beca...

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 23rd, 2025

It was a lovely afternoon in lovely company!  The first afternoon café was very nice, but we really hope to see more people there next week. It's a good time of day for singing, and one hour is a perfect amount of time. Parking is a bit more difficult during the day, and we have to remember that we cannot enter the parking lot behind the church, the manse lot, because of the small children there. Leave some time to find parking, or park down by Riverwalk Commons, lots of spots there.  Today’s theme was instrumental parts of songs that we sing along with. "Songs with Instrumentals that we Sing" is the name of my playlist. Sometimes there’s a big brass fanfare or a drum fill or an electric guitar solo that’s so good that we sing that in addition to singing the words, and sometimes it’s the best part, where suddenly everyone is singing (they might not even call it singing, but it is!). Imagine a bar band playing Sweet Caroline. The whole bar sings the "ba-ba-ba!" ...

Sing-along Café Thursday, November 6th, 2025

Another wonderful afternoon! I was inspired by some planning I was doing for my choir (the York Region Community Choir). I was looking at wartime songs to use for sing-alongs at a performance next week, when I realized that I could add them to a playlist I had. The playlist is "Songs for Keeping Love Alive". We hadn't used it before, so it was new to everyone.  We started with a couple of songs from the WWll era, songs about love and faithfulness surviving a separation. Then, we had a few songs about how a man can show his love for a woman, and how couples can stay together, what keeps a couple going forever (having fun, we agreed). Looking at the lyrics of love songs is always fun. Sometimes, it can be a little embarrassing, funny, and mostly relateable. Something I had intened to sing but forgot was Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree by Tony Orlando & Dawn. Next time! There are lots of songs on this playlist that we can do another time.  We talked a lit...