Skip to main content

Sing-along Café Thursday, April 23rd, 2026

Earth Day was yesterday but we had another special Earth Day today singing songs on my Earth and Peace playlist. We added a few new ones, as we often do, following our hearts and inspirations in the moment. I love how we are all generous and flexible and willing to step off a path like that. 

I’m glad we all love John Denver’s music. So many of his songs are tributes to nature! Listening to Annie’s Song, one can’t miss the fact that he’s measuring romantic love against the wonder and beauty of nature. We discovered a couple of his songs we hadn’t heard before, and they’re so good that they quickly became singable (sing-alongable?). Ian missed last week, so we had to do Calypso again, and we were happy to oblige. I especially love those la-las (yodels?). 

We didn't want to feel despair with our Earth and Peace theme. It's easy to fall into despair on this theme. I had hoped some protest songs might help us to feel powerful and hopeful. But, I couldn't introduce my Songs of Resistance playlist as planned. Calling out injustice and seeing the darkness of war were not things we wanted to do on this sunny day.  

Loving the Earth is a good start towards effecting change to protect the Earth from climate crisis. Loving people- not seeing anyone as "other"- is how we need to start working for Peace. Music inspires that kind of love. 

Our next theme will be Dreams, using my Dreams, Wishes, Hope playlist. Already today, we ended up with a number of songs mentioning dreams. Let's focus on the positive. We want to be hopeful like a sunny spring day.  

  • Earth Day Every Day by John Denver
  • Annie’s Song by John Denver 
  • Calypso by John Denver
  • Cool an’ Green an’ Shady by John Denver
  • Poems, Prayers and Promises by John Denver
  • Thank God I’m a Country Boy by John Denver
  • Waiting on the World to Change by John Mayer
  • What the World Needs Now is Love by Burt Bacharach and by Jackie DeShannon
  • Dreams and Zombie by the Cranberries 
  • Dust in the Wind by Kansas
  • Fly Like an Eagle by Steve Miller Band
  • From a Distance by Bette Midler
  • Put a Little Love in Your Heart by Jackie DeShannon


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 30th, 2025

We are ready for Halloween!  My theme today was Halloween. I found a couple of playlists of Halloween music on Apple Music, and we started with the one that is designated as a sing-along playlist. Apple Music Sing is a feature that I don't have on my devices, but there are playlists that are made for it, so all the songs on the playlist have scrolling lyrics. That's good enough for us.  We started with a song that we loved singing, but we wondered what made it a Halloween selection. The others were pretty obvious. I made a connection with newer songs about love being magical and the singer feeling like he's under a spell and two much older songs, by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. There were a lot of similarities. And, we noticed that those older songs are pretty hard to sing along with. Sometimes we think that new songs are tricky. We laughed about how we "know" lots of songs and can sing the chorus, but have no idea what the words in the verses are, maybe beca...

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 23rd, 2025

It was a lovely afternoon in lovely company!  The first afternoon café was very nice, but we really hope to see more people there next week. It's a good time of day for singing, and one hour is a perfect amount of time. Parking is a bit more difficult during the day, and we have to remember that we cannot enter the parking lot behind the church, the manse lot, because of the small children there. Leave some time to find parking, or park down by Riverwalk Commons, lots of spots there.  Today’s theme was instrumental parts of songs that we sing along with. "Songs with Instrumentals that we Sing" is the name of my playlist. Sometimes there’s a big brass fanfare or a drum fill or an electric guitar solo that’s so good that we sing that in addition to singing the words, and sometimes it’s the best part, where suddenly everyone is singing (they might not even call it singing, but it is!). Imagine a bar band playing Sweet Caroline. The whole bar sings the "ba-ba-ba!" ...

Sing-along Café Thursday, November 6th, 2025

Another wonderful afternoon! I was inspired by some planning I was doing for my choir (the York Region Community Choir). I was looking at wartime songs to use for sing-alongs at a performance next week, when I realized that I could add them to a playlist I had. The playlist is "Songs for Keeping Love Alive". We hadn't used it before, so it was new to everyone.  We started with a couple of songs from the WWll era, songs about love and faithfulness surviving a separation. Then, we had a few songs about how a man can show his love for a woman, and how couples can stay together, what keeps a couple going forever (having fun, we agreed). Looking at the lyrics of love songs is always fun. Sometimes, it can be a little embarrassing, funny, and mostly relateable. Something I had intened to sing but forgot was Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree by Tony Orlando & Dawn. Next time! There are lots of songs on this playlist that we can do another time.  We talked a lit...