Skip to main content

Sing-along Café Thursday, February 12th, 2026

Our theme was Home and Family, as we're looking ahead to the Family Day weekend, and also keeping in mind that Saturday is Valentine's Day. 

While Valentine's Day often looks like a romantic thing, it's really a love thing. In my experience, it's been about Family and Friends more than for Lovers. All the Moms and Grandmas get special cards and maybe flowers, handmade gifts, chocolates. There's a special family dinner, maybe in a restaurant or maybe it's Dad's favourite dish. Every kid in your class, your teams, your teacher, coach, the bus driver, all the people you love get a message of love from you on a card that you made or picked out. Valentines Day changed as I went through the changes of the different seasons of life, but mother, mine or myself, and family have been constant. Family is the thing I love most; my family are the people I love most. Home is where we are together.  

My Home and Family playlist starts off with 5 different songs called "Home". This time, we didn't sing those, but started with John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads. We talked about how good it feels when we've been in the city, (I had just been in the city with Soraya to the opera last night) and returning, driving north, somewhere around King City, we can start breathing easier, whether we're on a highway or on Bathurst or Dufferin. There are fields, and trees, and fewer buildings, better air even. And, sometimes we leave Newmarket and after a bit we drive along country roads and maybe end up at a lake. Deep breath. Trees, rocks, a horse, a field of cows, cornfields. And, we agreed that a vacation isn't a vacation unless we're on a body of water, a lake, river, or ocean. And, home is also Canada. Canada is home. Just as we were leaving I played Rocks and Trees by the Arrogant Worms. We laughed and laughed just like we might laugh at a funny family story. We love our rocks and trees and trees and rocks, and water. 

I baked some blueberry muffins to share at the Café. It was a lovely afternoon, time well spent; I loved my time with my beloved Sing-along Café friends. We went way off theme and I loved that so much. Happy Valentine's Day and Galentine's Day! Happy Family Day!

Here's some of the stuff we sang and listened to:  

  • Take Me Home Country Roads by John Denver
  • Take the Long Way Home by Supertramp
  • The Long Way Home by Walk Off the Earth and Lindsey Stirling
  • Radioactive by Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix (YouTubeVideo)
  • Somebody that I Used to Know by Walk Off the Earth (YouTubeVideo)
  • Loves Me Like a Rock by Paul Simon 
  • We Are Family by Sister Sledge 
  • Mamma Mia by ABBA by the original cast of the musical
  • Does Your Mother Know by ABBA (We were a little disturbed. It hits differently with powerful pedophiles in the news.)
  • Does Your Mother Know by ABBA from the Mama Mia movie soundtrack (different but not much better)
  • Somewhere Out There by Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram
  • Rocks and Trees by Arrogant Worms 

Happy Valentine's Day

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 30th, 2025

We are ready for Halloween!  My theme today was Halloween. I found a couple of playlists of Halloween music on Apple Music, and we started with the one that is designated as a sing-along playlist. Apple Music Sing is a feature that I don't have on my devices, but there are playlists that are made for it, so all the songs on the playlist have scrolling lyrics. That's good enough for us.  We started with a song that we loved singing, but we wondered what made it a Halloween selection. The others were pretty obvious. I made a connection with newer songs about love being magical and the singer feeling like he's under a spell and two much older songs, by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. There were a lot of similarities. And, we noticed that those older songs are pretty hard to sing along with. Sometimes we think that new songs are tricky. We laughed about how we "know" lots of songs and can sing the chorus, but have no idea what the words in the verses are, maybe beca...

Sing-along Café Thursday, October 23rd, 2025

It was a lovely afternoon in lovely company!  The first afternoon café was very nice, but we really hope to see more people there next week. It's a good time of day for singing, and one hour is a perfect amount of time. Parking is a bit more difficult during the day, and we have to remember that we cannot enter the parking lot behind the church, the manse lot, because of the small children there. Leave some time to find parking, or park down by Riverwalk Commons, lots of spots there.  Today’s theme was instrumental parts of songs that we sing along with. "Songs with Instrumentals that we Sing" is the name of my playlist. Sometimes there’s a big brass fanfare or a drum fill or an electric guitar solo that’s so good that we sing that in addition to singing the words, and sometimes it’s the best part, where suddenly everyone is singing (they might not even call it singing, but it is!). Imagine a bar band playing Sweet Caroline. The whole bar sings the "ba-ba-ba!" ...

Thursday Singing Night Reviews- on hold for now

My usual practice to write a review of our Thursday singing nights, Sing-along Café, is on hold.  I haven't felt secure about this 'ministry' of mine. In my mind, it's a wonderful and important thing, but it's not taking off. And, I've been wondering if my music ministry at Trinity should move in a different direction.  I suggested adding a choir practice in this time slot, for a pop/contemporary Sunday choir, which I could run with a volunteer accompanist, since it is the traditional, usual time for church choirs. Another choir was not feasible, so that's not happening (yet/ I'm still hopeful). I have been asked to work with the drama club on the music for the Christmas Pageant again, and those rehearsals have moved from Wednesdays to Thursdays. So, I'm now wondering how to manage my Thursday nights with that added in.   One possibility is to start the Sing-along Café at 6:30, at the same time as the drama club. We could invite the parents/guardians...